Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My new setup

N

nathan

After my horrific experience with my last two pets
sad.gif
(RIP SNOWIE AND CHLOE) I cleaned out my tank thoroughly and cycled it for the last week.
Today I decided it was time to, well try to (i don't think i ever could), replace my pets. I thought i'd start with one like I did before and I bought Chloe number 2.
Anyway this is how my new tank is set up
24544.jpg

As you can see I did not take my chances with another one of the same thermometers that leaked alcohol in to my water (see thread: DEAD in sick axo category). It can read celcius and farenheit, it also has a settable alert alarm, i have it set to alarm if the water temp drops to 11 degrees celcius or below and it will also beep if it reaches 25 degrees celcius and above.
The guy replaced it with a $40 digital one for me.
Tank setup: 2 ft light on side of tank (hardly use it mostly actually during the day when it's bright anyway to keep the plants growing although I have decided not yet to add live plants until my new baby settles into her new home) got two filters going, one undergravel and another resun hang on, big garden pebbles for gravel, the little troll bridge which they love to hide under and also the log for hiding in.

M

mik

Pretty nice set-up. You're spoiling them already.

I use a piece of black plastic taped to rear and sides so that I can see them more clearly without distraction of blinds and reflections.

Good luck with Chloe 2

N

nathan

thanks for the good luck, hopefully this time i won't need it.
About the backing for the aquarium, i was actually contemplating that also in readiness for sydney's hot summer so that the heat doesn't pass from the window to the tank so fast as well.
I'll most probably take this up soon.
I also cut a few inches off the undergravel pipes in readiness to have the water level lower this time as well (sick of having my whole arm wet every time i fed them) but then when replacing my hang on realised if i did this the water flowing from the hang on might cause too much current in the water when dropping in from such height, oh well guess i'll have to live with the wet arms... don't wanna cause any more current that the undergravels already cause....

K

kaysie

some current isnt bad. I've noticed mine like to hang out under the filter output. You just dont want it flowing like a river in there. You could lower the water level down to just above the filter intake and i'm sure it would be fine. Or move the filter over to the same side as the UG filter, and lower the water level. That's how I have mine set up (airstone and filter on the same side) that way there's slightly moving water on one side of the tank and still water on the other side, then the axie can choose. Also, if you can turn the UG filter so it hits the wall instead of coming out into the tank, that would significantly lower water movement.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!