The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 8th February 2007   #1
Rowdy Hotel
(ramiro)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ramiro has shown reliable knowledgeramiro has shown reliable knowledge

I'd like to raise my own worms now and stop buying the expensive canadian nightcrawlers. I read the article on feeding the salamanders and it said not to feed worms in the eisenia and dendrobanea genus. I've been looking around for worms from worm suppliers and all their worms seem to be in those genuses. Thanks for your help.

ramiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007   #2
ester

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Check out this page, in principal those worms are fine. However your salamanders and newts may need to get used to their taste.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml

Old 9th February 2007   #3
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I am raising the Dendrobaena worms. All my newts and sals will eat them whole, and my tub produces a constant supply of all sizes of worms. For both the Eisenia and Dendobaena, some sals will reject them when the worms are cut into pieces, as they have a bit of funny smell. Nonetheless, my axolotls and C. ensicauda eat them cut up, no problem. The Eisenia are worse in this regard.

Old 12th February 2007   #4
Rowdy Hotel
(ramiro)

Nationality:
Rep: ramiro has shown reliable knowledgeramiro has shown reliable knowledge

Do you raise dendrobaena hortensis, Jennifer? I believe they're also called european nightcrawlers or belgian nightcrawlers.

ramiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014   #5
HerpHappy41

Nationality:
Rep: HerpHappy41 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What types of worms are best for salamanders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ester View Post
Check out this page, in principal those worms are fine. However your salamanders and newts may need to get used to their taste.

Caudata Culture Articles - Worms
thank you for the info.

HerpHappy41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salamanders, types, worms