Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Slightly Cloudy Tank

Izjeen

Reaction score
Hi,

Probably a very simple question to answer.

I have a four year old axolotl, in a 55l tank.

The water has suddenly become slightly cloudy (not too much, but enough that its noticeable from the side).

I currently have a box filter/corner filter which seems to work well, and a submersible, that's only switched on once in a while to help the submersible filter (used to be an epheim pickup 45 but that was too noisy, so changed to a much quieter version which works the same).

I've tested the water with ammonia strips and it spiked to 1, then after a water change dropped to 0.5.

My question is, is that set up appropriate? I.e corner filter and backup filter and secondly, how to drop the ammonia levels to 0.

Thanks!

Donna001

Reaction score
Has your tank been cycled? It is the bacteria which deal with the waste, and your ammonia and nitrite readings should both be 0.
How long have you had your axolotl?
Some pictures of the tank would also be helpful.
A larger tank would be more suitable. A good size for one axolotl is 80 litres, and 60cm long.
I don't know how much experience you have with axolotls, so please don't be offended if the information in the attached links is stuff that you already know.
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander
Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles
http://sillyaxolotls.wixsite.com/sillyaxolotls
:happy:

Izjeen

Reaction score
How would i know if my tank has been cycled? I do water changes every week (about 15-20%). I've had him for about 2/3 months now? He's 4 years old.

Ill take some photos and post them.

Thanks!!

BreakingBrad

Reaction score
It sounds like a mini cycle. You need to know tank cycling inside and out before doing anything with aquariums. There are many potential causes...too big of water changes...inproper filter cleaning that wipes out good bacteria...power outage (or more likley turning on and off or switching filters as you mentioned)...using non dechlorinated water...etc. my guess is your filter swapping is the culprit. Your filter isn't like an HVAC filter. It does collect debris but mainly it houses bacteria you absolutely need to keep your water levels from reaching deadly levels of ammonia and nitrite quickly. Your filter is like an ecosystem and it needs time to setup and populate. If you turn it off for too long or swap it out you lose the bacteria and thus the cycle.

At this point your axolotls are probably not enjoying themselves and the only real solution is to learn the nitrate cycle and start maintaining the aquarium accordingly. I'd cut back on feeding a bit, do 20% water changes with good water weekly or maybe even twice weekly (it will reduce levels of harmful ammonia and nitrite, though it will slow your cycle), and hope they can weather the storm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1