Bricks in tanks

M

mary

hi there, just wondered if anyone has put a brick in their tank?

Not me, I've bought slate, sandstone, onyx, and quartz and put them in my tanks but I've not put a brick in there.

I've seen bricks in tanks before, but never used them myself.

I would think if you wanted to try it, just make sure to

1. soak them really well to clean them out, just like you would do for found rocks and wood; and

2. make sure if you get light-colored bricks, that they're not made of limestone or some other soft rock that will leach minerals into the water (which could upset the pH balance in the tank); and

3. make sure they're not made of cement/concrete (b/c of the chemicals that can leach out and mess up the water and harm your animals).

Hope this helps
happy.gif

I agree with S1ren. Avoid the gray bricks that look like they are made of cement. I have used bricks and also orange clay flower pots and pot feet in my tanks for many years. Here is one example. I especially like the bricks that have holes in them, as they are lighter weight and give the animals places to crawl through.

65374.jpg

(Message edited by jennewt on May 24, 2006)

oh my! what a lovely brick home!! what a happy axie he must be!

so normal lightcolor house bricks r ok? cos i have heaps of those!

Actually, that's a newt tank, but you could do something similar for axies. Yes, just ordinary house-building bricks. I have been known to steal broken/discarded ones from construction sites.

yes i would like a brick with all those wee holes in them.....

oh I also use bricks in my newt tanks....they love'em....I also had one of my trachia granulosa's breed in a plant that was hidden in the holes...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back