Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

floating axies??

lazylilsnoop

Reaction score
is it normal for a axie to float? his lower part of the body(back leg) is always floating when he's trying to move on the ground. it seems like his back leg have no strength or something like that even while his stationary, his lower body will float up.

i have 2 axies and only 1 is behaving like that.

any idea people??

took a video of it, but apparently youtube is having trouble to upload it. will upload the video a.s.a.p

Saspotato

Reaction score
Hmm, what are your water conditions? If your temperature is high, it could be stressing your axolotl out and causing it to float. Is he showing other signs of stress? Like refusing food?

Many axolotls float with their tails up when they need to poo... so it could be that. Has he been like this for a while? (sorry for all the questions but it may help narrow down what is wrong if you can give some more detail).

If he continues to float, you can put him in a container with the water low enough so his feet will touch the ground as this can reduce stress. Probably fridging him is best in the meantime...

gr33neyes

Reaction score
my 2 do that sometimes, its usually a sign of imminent poo or gulped too much air and a burp usually clears it. Can last for a couple of days sometimes, doesn't seem to bother them too much though.

debbie

Reaction score
that video is rather funny arnet axies the greatest they always make me laugh with there clumsy ways, one of my axies always swallows to much air but soon burps it back out again i think if he was constantly floating on the surface then it wouldnt be very good but otherwise i think it is fine.

lazylilsnoop

Reaction score
hmm... these few day, 1 of my axie just float on d top n rarely go down bottom. while the other 1 always stay below

it always scare me if he is dead or not... i've been always trying to stir up d water, just to see whether it reacts to it or not.

any idea y he's doin that?

Saspotato

Reaction score
Refer to my original post on this thread. It would be more helpful for people here if you posted some information about your tank and the setup.

Jessie83

Reaction score
Floating Axolotl

I've had my first Axolotl for about 4 months now. 2 days ago we noticed that he is floating. After much worry, it appears that he's been eating the bubbles from the airrator. Is this normal behaviour? We have turned the airrator off to see if he stops floating so much (will only do that for a couple of days as don't want to make him sick).
Ever since we got him he's been hungry all the time and quite active. He doesn't appear to be underweight, but I think we need to feed him more (after looking at the begginers posts). Could this be a cause for eating the bubbles?
Could he be sick? Even though he's eating still?

Kal El

Reaction score
Jessie83,

Excessive floating is a cause for concern, however, it is not uncommon for an axolotl to float every so often. This is called the "hang-out" mode...sounds rather ghetto :p

Reasons for floating include:

- Air bubbles, thus a build up of gas. This can be caused by food (i.e. tubifex worm cubes) because the air has not been squeezed out of it. Basically, your axolotl needs "burp".
- It preparing to excrete faeces (especially if its tail end is floating up)
- Your axolotl is just being itself and showing you what it's capable of :D

Best of luck with your axolotl!

Jay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!