Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Camera Recommendations

T

tylototriton

I'm sure this is a repeat thread, but I need some camera advice. I'm looking to get into photographing reps and amps and would like to get a decent camera and lens. I'm heading back down to Costa Rica in March, so I would like to get set up by then. So does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Alex

blckkeys

Reaction score
I use a Pentax k10D DSLR. I love it. It takes 10.1mp, it is weather sealed, and has a built in image stabilizer, so any lens you use will have image stabilization. Also, you can use just about any lens Pentax ever made, that is a K mount lens, and for their other mountings, you will need an adapter. Plus it won't break the bank either, and is fairly simple to use.

However, Pentax no longer makes the K10D, they upgraded to the K20D and a slightly lower intro model the K200d, and I think they have a K2000d as well. But you may still be able to find a K10d.

The only drawback, in my mind, is getting it serviced. Because it is not a Canon or Nikon, not every camera shop will be able to service it, or even have lenses readily available for it.

T

tylototriton

I figured I would finally post the conclusion to this adventure. I went with the Nikon D80 with some zoom lenses, the 50mm lens, an SB-600 and the Nikkor 105mm Macro with the possibility of the 60mm as well. That about depletes my wallet although i'm getting almost all of it used so that certainly helps. Thanks for all the insight everyone!

Alex

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1