Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Angry or sad? A bit of both I think.....

C

claire

Hi All

I just popped to my local aquatics place to buy bloodworm for my remaining axolotl babies. I'd previously sold some of my axy babies to this guy and gave him full care instructions and printed care sheets to give out to customers.

The babies are tiny compared to mine even though I gave him my largest. They're in a setup with fast water flow and they have very swollen little bellies full of mouth sized gravel.
violent.gif

The owner wasn't in the shop today but I'm going back tomorrow to talk to him. This mistreatment isn't down to ignorance as I gave him all the info. I'll never sell him an axolotl again that's for sure.

-I want my babies back
sad.gif

morg

Reaction score
There are very few pet shops who can be trusted to take correct care of amphibians even if given the correct care info.
If the pet shop in question is anything like the ones around here, those care sheets will have been binned as soon as you left the shop.

M

matthew

Angry, sad and livid, Claire.
Threaten them with the RSPCA... in the UK petshops are suipposed to have a license aren't they?

S

sara

Claire, I'm so sorry. I had many similar experiences. So much so that I've taken to doing "drop bye's" of all the shops I sold too. I offer to drop off more care sheets in case they've "lost" them. I politely ask permission to turn down the water flow. I nicely ask if there are any problems they'd like me to look at. I've even gone so far as to offer to set up the tanks for them. About 1 out of three shops respond well to this and they are now the only ones I do business with. I'm not excusing the shop you sold to, but sometimes a little gentle persistence pays off. It's a tough situation. There are bad pet shops everywhere, but many shop owners are simply overwhelmed with information about all the different animals they have and don't think they have the space to set up what sounds like a very specialized tank. I hope you get your babies back.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1