Axie seems a bit off.

J

james

Hello there people, I was just wondering about my Axie, She's about four years old now, And recently she's stopped eating, for about a month now, Even when the food is waved in her face, and she barely does anything during the day, But she's very active at night, I wondered if this had anything to do with the higher temperatures? It's about 25 degrees here recently,(VERY high for England :p)Could that be to do with it?

On another note, I do tend to find her perched atop one of the plants, That seems very cute to me.

Ooooh a fellow englander lol! Yes i'm having the same problem. I'm just putting ice cubes in to cool the water down to the right level.
She became a bit more active but still wont eat. I'v lowered the water level too coz she started floating to the top which seems to have a helpped a little.

Aha many thanks, I've got a bottle of ice being prepared (Well, bunged in the freezer lol) as we speak, Hoping that will sort it out, Now however I've noticed a large lump on her head, I've made another thread about it in The illness forum, If you have any idea what may have caused it please say so, I'm quite worried :-(

Thanks again :)

Bump on its head? Big or small one? My axolotl hassmall natural bumps but if its large it could be something else.
Post me a pic

James - make sure you use dechlorinated water in the bottles before you freeze them, and don't fill them all the way to the top (as the ice expands)! This is mainly because if the bottle burst in the tank the water could kill your axie/s. Also, you may need more than one bottle, and keep up a sort of constant rotation. Otherwise you will find with the temp going up and down (temp warm, then cooling then warming up again) your axie will get stressed and poss. sick.

Lorie - You shouldn't use icecubes for this same reason as well as the fluctuating temperatures which will stress your axie even more.

Try and move your tank to a cooler area of the house.

If not able to do that, then try using a fan blowing above the surface of the water (like a pedestal fan).

i agree with kapo, having a fan blowing over the tank works good for me. any temp above 24 is dangerous.

Yeah this lump is quite big, Right in the middle on the top of her head, It seems to be going down very slowly, It appeared suddenly a few days ago, Is it possible that she banged her head? I've opened another thread simply called "Eek", There's a lot of info there, But getting a picture is proving to be difficult. I will post one as son as possible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back