Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My new 'lotls

pent565

Reaction score
Introducing my new four, I'm still playing around with names. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm thinking Ophelia and Hamlet, for my two leucistic, Merlin for my GFP (Morgana if female), and so far my melanoid is known as "Stubby". Needless to say, his former tank mates were not kind.

I hope the pics attached right; if they did, don't mind the messiness of the gfp's tank, I'm siphoning it off bit by bit. Its pond silt, not waste, as the tank previously held yellow spotted salamander larvae.
The melanoid is in a temporary mesh breeder trap, while his tank cycles, so you can't see him very well, or how he came by his name.

I'd really like to know what people think of the adult's gills; do they look ok? I'm afraid they might be a little tattered looking. They came like that...

Attachments

• Axolotls and other things 016.jpg
    Axolotls and other things 016.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 848
  • Axolotls and other things 015.jpg
    Axolotls and other things 015.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 410
  • Axolotls and other things 014.jpg
    Axolotls and other things 014.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 374

pent565

Reaction score
hmm, I think only three of the pics attached... lets try the others? Oh, and the GFP is also Wildtype. My camera isn't the best for this kind of pic, they always come out grainy.

Attachments

• Axolotls and other things 017.jpg
    Axolotls and other things 017.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 299
  • Axolotls and other things 019.jpg
    Axolotls and other things 019.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 287

sammie68

Reaction score
Their all awesome looking little fellows, I love the very first pic. I also love the name Ophelia.

ZoeT94

Reaction score
The one mentioned, the first pic, his gills do look a little tattered, and is the second on the left missing a front leg or is it in motion?

They look good and tubby though!

pent565

Reaction score
All the adults limbs are intact. Its probably the angle of the pic. The same individual is in the first pic, the tubby one in the solo shot.
I'm not sure whats wrong with the gills, or why they're like that. Both babies have perfect gills. In some places, the adults gills are kinked, like they broke and re-healed crooked, and one of the male's is a stub compared to the others.

What can cause gill damage like that?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1