Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What age is my axolotl?

Luna

Reaction score
Can you please tell me if my axolotl is a juvenile? and do the juveniles bite other axolotls?
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_1052.jpg
    IMG_1052.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 423

Luna

Reaction score
can someone please help as i desperately need to know because i have another axolotl in there with her and i think she might be biting her tail

EJgraydon

Reaction score
I would say definately a juvi.. It will be okay around another axxie as long as they're the same size, and plenty of food and hide space and floor space is supplied. :)

Luna

Reaction score
my other axolotl is bigger but doesnt seem to be annoying her in any way

EJgraydon

Reaction score
I might keep a separator in until they're comparable in length, but you could always just be very watchful, if they're well fed it may not be an issue

Mortimer

Reaction score
Some of those pebbles look like they may be small enough to cause problems with your axolotls. I'd take out any pebbles/rocks that aren't at least 1.5x their heads. :)

Luna

Reaction score
Some of those pebbles look like they may be small enough to cause problems with your axolotls. I'd take out any pebbles/rocks that aren't at least 1.5x their heads. :)

yea they look small from above but I went through them all before i put them in. i think they may be on a weird angle because they are quite large

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Some of them will pose a problem when your axolotls reach adult size. They really MUST be bigger than an adult axolotl's entire head, or they could be swallowed.

wandering

Reaction score
And they will trap waste products. Your tank could turn into a sewer! :eek: Are you using a test kit to check that your water is not polluted with ammonia and nitrite? This is really important.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

FX1C

Reaction score
my water is perfect

Could you post the readings for
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ph

Stating that your water is "perfect" isn't good enough! What are you using to judge it's quality?

Do you have liquid test kits & how often are you using them?

Water quality is definitely not something to be blasé about - its an exact science not visual guesswork!

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1