Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Abcess on newts head?

L

lauren

sorry my cameras not working so I dont have a picture but i noticed that one of my redspotted newts has a lump on the crown of his head, I assume its somekind of cyst or abcess.
Im going to call my vet in the morning but is theres anything i can do for him till he gets to the vet? anything thats safe to put on it?
Is it likly that the vet would be able to do something for him?

L

lauren

i couldn't get ahold of my vet,she's on maternity leave and I don't trust the dog & cat vets to know what their doing
the sore spot was open the morning after i noticed it.
I don t have any dirt to put him on the ground is frozen and walmart/homedepot etc dont have any out yet
I put him by himself in a 12x8 kritter keeper so im not sure what to do now, can i put him on damp paper towels for a few days and apply neosporin to the sore?

J

jennifer

Yes, damp towels and Neosporin are OK. Is the newt a female, and does she live with males? The reason I ask is that sometimes the males get so overzealous during amplexus that they can rub a bare spot on the female's head; I had this happen. If this could be the case, you need to separate any other females too.

J

jeff

Just make sure you don't use the neosporin with pain relief

L

lauren

Its a male newt that lives with 2 others the only thing i can think of is that i have a zoomed turtle dock in the tank and they often rest in the holes where the poles go through or inbetween the dock and the glass.

I added water to the tank the other day and put a little to much in cuase the dock to sort of rest diagnally after it reached the top of the poles, making the space between the dock and the glass smaller\so i think maybe he tryed to squeeze through there or maybe he was in there un-noticed when i added the water
the sore looks smaller already so hopefully it wont take long to heal

S

steve

hi lauren,
i also have red spotted newts too, last year i had what sound like a similar problem, one of my red spotted newts developed two cyst like lumps one about half way down the left side of its tail and one about 3mm under its left eye, Is the lump/cyst an off white colour and 2-3mm in size and looks embedded in the skin?

after a week or so of noticing the problem i noticed it got slighty larger in size and changed shape. so i removed the lump using a pin and a pair of tweezers to find out they were a small paracite living in the skin of the host after removing them i applied some tamodine on the areas effected placed the newt in a seperate enclosure, it seemd to be relativly unphased by the procedure, dont worry from what i could tell it was not life threatening, it may not even be the same symptoms but i thought id let you know, so you can bear it in mind.
steve.

L

lauren

this lump was the same color as the skin and just looked sore underthe skin, like a slight red tint.
its doing much better now, it looks healed so im going to put him in a five gallon with clean water by himself for a bit so see that he eats and that it doesnt come back then i'll let him go back with the other two.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1