Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Possible sick/injured ADF?

recrdchaos

Reaction score
Okay, let me explain before you judge me - I don't know much about these little guys. Me and my boyfriend ended up with a 3 gallon tank (a nice one that even had a filter), so we went to get a little fish to put in it. I usually research pets before I get them (in fact 6 or so months of research went into my cornsnake). We needed to see the availability of fish at our local petsmart, but fortunately the people there are usually knowledgable enough that I was confident we'd at least come home with something suitable for the tank.

Well, the cute little ADFs were marked at minimum 1 gallon. The shopkeeper said he could eat freeze dried bloodworms (which we already had) and wouldn't even necessarily need a filter (though the tank has quite a good one, and I wouldn't feel comfortable putting something in it if it didn't). They were also on sale. We bought one, as I am under the impression they're not very social.

So obviously I'm doing research now! However, he has a strange... sore? On his abdomen where one of his back legs attaches. It looks like a blister. The worker admitted that they had a few problems with fungal infections in the tank, which honestly made me respect her a lot more, and made sure to tell me about their 2 week return policy. Upon noticing this sore I wondered if it might be a fungal infection like she said. If so, is there anything I can do for him? It may also be some kind of wound from fighting, as there were quite a few frogs all trying to share one hide.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!