Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hoping to Own An Axolotl

Perocore

Reaction score
I've always loved newts, salamander, frogs, and toads, but have never actually owned any. Well, I have a tank who's only occupant is a Whisker Shrimp who is soon to be moved into a different (smaller) tank. So, naturally, I started looking for something new to put in the tank, and stumbled upon Axolotls! I looked at some pictures, saw that little smile, and just couldn't say 'no' to getting one.

I've done a lot of research already, so I know they prefer cooler water (luckily we recently cleaned out our basement, which stays about 68 F year round), need a gentle filter (I have a gentle one that has an adjustable flow), tend to uproot live plants, and eat things such as earth worms and blackworms.

However, there is something I am very confused on...the substrate! I read on one website that a bare bottom is fine, but I never can stand to put any animal on plastic (not even my feeder crickets). I know gravel is dangerous, so I wanted to know if aquarium sand is a safe alternative.

Next question- plants. What sort of fake plants are safe for these little guys? I figure silk plants are safe, but is plastic also alright, or is their skin too sensitive?

And a few more questions! Do different variations (colors) get along just fine? Are axolotls more content when they have another axolotl with them? And what else can they eat as a staple?

Sorry about all of the questions, but I want to do my research before acquiring one (or more) of these little salamanders. I've done searches but run into some conflicting information, so just wanted to get it straight.

Thanks,
Milo

clownxfishx

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a new member too, but I've had my Axie for a while and I'll try to answer your questions :)

I've done a lot of research already, so I know they prefer cooler water (luckily we recently cleaned out our basement, which stays about 68 F year round), need a gentle filter (I have a gentle one that has an adjustable flow), tend to uproot live plants, and eat things such as earth worms and blackworms.
I have mine with a sponge filter and no heat lamp. He lives in my finished basement and its a little chilly. He loves it! He also usually eats sinking pellets.

However, there is something I am very confused on...the substrate! I read on one website that a bare bottom is fine, but I never can stand to put any animal on plastic (not even my feeder crickets). I know gravel is dangerous, so I wanted to know if aquarium sand is a safe alternative.

Anything smaller than the size of his head is dangerous. I have sand in my tanks and it's really whats best for them. Gravel can get them all different kinds of sick. Large, smooth river stones work or you could even do some kind of smooth tiles, or just a bare floor. Absolutely no gravel or small rocks!!
Next question- plants. What sort of fake plants are safe for these little guys? I figure silk plants are safe, but is plastic also alright, or is their skin too sensitive?

I prefer live plants, but I always suggest to get silk ones if you don't want live. I buy my live plants from walmart and quarantine them for a week. If you opt for silk, run your finger along the plastic stems and make sure there's nothing sharp.
And a few more questions! Do different variations (colors) get along just fine? Are axolotls more content when they have another axolotl with them? And what else can they eat as a staple?
Different colors get along great :) They can either live alone quite happily or in a larger tank with others! I've seen up to 4 in one tank. Just make sure they have room to swim around. They can eat pellets, earth worms, etc.

Sorry about all of the questions, but I want to do my research before acquiring one (or more) of these little salamanders. I've done searches but run into some conflicting information, so just wanted to get it straight.
When you get one, you'll fall in love. Atlas (my axie) has an AMAZING personality. He eats out of my hand, sits in my hand, gets visibly excited when I enter the room and look into his tank. He's a sweetie

My Atlas <3
atlas8_zps58d93023.jpg

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Milo.
Aquarium sand is good. I started off using play sand (the sort children us in sand pits), but ended up removing it. When we moved I intended to silicone some slate to the bottom, but being in a rush forgot so they now have a bare bottomed tank .
Plastic or silk plants are fine, just make sure their are no sharp wires or bits that are likely to be knocked off.
Axolotl are fine by them selves, but if your tank is big enough you can add more...different colours will mix fine. Mixed sexes will breed . If you get more than one, try to get similar sizes. They can nip each other, but I find feeding each in a different spot helps and have plenty plants. I place the plants in the middle of the tank so they can amble around, also add a couple of hides. My three like to squeeze into the smallest :/
As a staple diet earthworm is best, you may be able to get axolotl/ salmon pellets which are also good.

xclownxfishx typed faster than me :)

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
Sand is one of the best substrates for axolotls, but it requires quite a bit of upkeep; keeping gas bubbles out, siphoning out droppings and bits of food, etc. An easier alternative that gives them just as much grip is slate rock, which you can get for free just about anywhere outdoors. I've got a plastic plant in with my own axolotl and it seems to work just fine for him, no issues to report. If you're buying plastic, always remember to get the ones with rounded leaves, no spiky ones!

auntiejude

Reaction score
If you're buying plastic, always remember to get the ones with rounded leaves, no spiky ones!

Why? My axies live the spikey grass in their tank! They like to swin across it, I think it tickles their bellies. It's not sharp enough to do them any damage, just enough to amuse them.

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
Why? My axies live the spikey grass in their tank! They like to swin across it, I think it tickles their bellies. It's not sharp enough to do them any damage, just enough to amuse them.

I had a spiky plastic plant in my tank for a while and my poor little guy cut his tail on it. I guess it depends on what kind, really.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!