ACF question

caretaker

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I am new to the ACF's, I have had them for about two and a half months.The albino clawed frogs. I have a 40 gallon tank. I have or had 2 of them. My one hadn't been eating very well for a couple of weeks. I read that they sometimes don't eat for a couple of weeks but I was concerned about it anyway. I couldn't see anything physically wrong with it accept a failure to eat. It died yesterday. My question is now that I only have one will it die of loneliness? I would like to get another one. I also have two larger gold fish and one Pleco which seem to be doing fine. I change the water every couple of weeks, do have a filtration system it is a Penguin 200 and is for up to 50 gallons. I am not crazy about the rite size filter for it. It doesn't seem to have enough charcoal in it to actually filter anything. I rinse it out every couple of days because it gets nasty. Feed the ReptoMin food pellets. I do check the condition of the water and the nitrates are always good along with the PH which is good also. If I am missing anything or not doing something correctly please let me know. I don't want to lose my other frog.
Thank you so much!

Last edited:
It shouldn't die of loneliness, if that's your main concern. I've kept mine alone since it was a tadpole, with no ill effects. They can be incredibly hardy.

Thank you for your answer. I thought since he had a buddy that maybe he would miss it. He seems to be doing fine. When I went to take the dead one out of the tank he came over to it and sat on top of it like he didn't want me to remove it. I had to move him off of it. I just felt bad for him.

So I want to get another ACF. My frog is about 21/2 inches long, if I add another frog will the frog I have eat the new one since they are so small when you buy them.

I would keep the smaller one in a seperate tank till it gets bigger just to be safe. I had one and fell in love with him so I wanted to get friends for him, was hoping for a female when I got the new ones but ended up with 2 more boys. I kept them in a seperate tank till the got to big to fit in the larger ones mouth. They are so entertaining to watch. There is a picture of all 3 of mine in the photo album section.

Thanks, I was thinking that I should do that anyway. I do love my frog, he croaks all of the time. It sounds like spring in the house all of the time. I think he sounds happy. I will check out your pics. Do you think a 10 gal tank would be big enough if I keep
up with water changes until it gets big enough?

Absouletly, the two little ones I had were in a Fluval Spec 5.6 Gallon Nano Aquarium, till they got big enough. They were the only thing in there so it was big enough, the ten gallon will be a castle for your little one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back