Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Excited New Axolotl Parent

charles93

Reaction score
My name is Charles. I'm from New York City but am currently in College. I am a biology major hoping to become a veterinarian one day. Besides my one wild-type axolotl named Skittles I also have two more axolotls that should be arriving in the next week or so. I also have a dwarf rabbit, Cinna, domestic short hair, Khaleesi, and a whoodle, Wallie that all live with me and my girlfriend here in college. I very much look forward to getting assistance from everyone here as I already have from reading posts as well as helping as best I can when the opportunity presents itself.

Attachments

• 20140104_071452.jpg
    20140104_071452.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 216
  • 20131218_142735.jpg
    20131218_142735.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 212

Kaini

Reaction score
Hello and Welcome! What a cute little lotl you have there! But what is that substrate? I worry about the little guy eventually swallowing it, especially when he gets a bit bigger.

charles93

Reaction score
The substrate is fine sand. The grains are smaller than a couple day old daphnia. The picture is just fuzzy because it's from above my ten gallon tank, on zoom, on my phone. Unfortunately the best picture I have of him right now.
Thank you very much for your concern. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1