Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

ACF or ADF in 5 gallon tank

ntny

Reaction score
Hi guys

can i keep a ACF or a pair of ACF in a 5gallon tank?
if not can i keep a trio of ADF in a 5gallon tank?

i actaully prefer a ACF cos they larger and are easier to takecare...?
i read ADF dies easily...

whats the temp range for them?
do they need as low as newts 18-21 degrees?

thanks

ntny

Reaction score
hi guys

can you advice me?

some more questions,
does ACF/ADF needs a driftwood like newts to climb?
or i can just a use a few plastic plants for hiding purposes.

thanks and have a nice day.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Acf need 10 gallons each. Adf would be better of in a 10 gall tank as its easier to cycle and maintain water quality than a 5 gall tank

ntny

Reaction score
hi nai live,

thanks for advice on the tank size.
1) what temp does these frogs need?
2) do they need a driftwood or plastic plants are good enuff for hiding?

i think i will just keep a single ACF in a 10 gallon tank. i prefer larger ones...lolx

cheers!

ntny

Reaction score
hi guys

i bought 3 small 1incher albino ACF today. i am not sure if they are males or females though....2 are bigger and fatter, 1 is slimer. but not too sure about the sex. i will give 1 ACF to me friend who ask me to buy 1 for him this weekend. i just wanted a pair.

now they are staying in my 1.5ft 10gallon tank with a small 5 watts 200L/hr filter hookup to my chiller. water temp i set to 20-24 degrees.is this Temp too LOW?

i just feed them frozen blood worms and they are so greedy. but i hope to switch them to hikari goldfish sinking pallets. i read too much blood worms will cause bloat?

they are very very active aquatic frogs!
i was thinking to remove the BIG driftwood to allow more swimming space.
i do have some plastic plants in the tank for cover and hiding. i read they do not use any LANDAREA so the dfitwood is useless to them.
do you think i should remove the driftwood to create more swimming space?

thanks alot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1