Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Constipated axolotl. Heard a pea could help?

Day

Reaction score
I just noticed my wild top axolotl is floating and hes hunched over which means hes either constipated or has gas. I heard that giving your axolotl a frozen pea would help but I've never heard of this method being used often or at all. Does it really work?

Wysper

Reaction score
I have never heard or seen that mentioned for axolotls. Cichlids however, yes.

If your axie is floating and having trouble passing poop, I would suggest moving him into a tub with enough water so he can keep his feet on the bottom. Not being able to touch the bottom can stress them out. Keep it cool and fresh with dechlorinated water and daily water changes. If he hasn't pooped in 24 hours you may want to look into the fridging guide. Colder temps can help them pass the blockage.

emdalliance

Reaction score
I do too wonder why peas aren't used on axolotls? I know they're very effective on most kinds of fish, I swear by it religiously.
Why don't we use it for axolotls? Has it even been tried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

auntiejude

Reaction score
I do too wonder why peas aren't used on axolotls? I know they're very effective on most kinds of fish, I swear by it religiously.
Why don't we use it for axolotls? Has it even been tried?

Because axolotls are not fish. They are carnivores, and too much vegetable matter cannot be digested. I guess potentially it could rot in their gut and ultimately kill them.

Day

Reaction score
Because axolotls are not fish. They are carnivores, and too much vegetable matter cannot be digested. I guess potentially it could rot in their gut and ultimately kill them.
Well thank you for actually mentioning that part :D I wont give him a pea.

emdalliance

Reaction score
I know they aren't fish lol. I know it's a risky thing to do, I only give my fish peas cut up tiny. I wonder if a tiny part of a pea would harm them? People gut load their earthworms with vegetables - this is what made me curious. @auntiejude

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When the vet thought my sal was constipated he told me to feed a waxworm dipped in olive oil each day for a couple days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!