Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank Chillers- Has anyone attempted DIY?

TunaPips

Reaction score
As the Australian heat increases during the summer (42C, 110F predicted next week) I am finding my chilling fans just aren't keeping my tank temp down enough and I will need a chiller, especially before next week.

I don't know about other countries, but over here chillers start at about $250, which I don't have disposable right now. I've seen videos making DIY chillers (much cheaper and energy efficient) using a mini fridge and tubing etc.

I was just wondering whether anyone had actually done this or tried this? If so, did it work/is it effective?

Alternatively, if anyone has any constant cooling methods other than fans/chillers, please let me know!! Thanks

DeCypher

Reaction score
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml
Check out #7 with the water cooler. I tried to find the thread where someone did it, and explains its full build and installation but couldn't find it. The idea is pretty simple, just using a water cooler for drinking purposes but as an aquarium chiller and relaying the cold water back to the aquarium.
I live farther north so I just use a couple clip-on desktop fans and it lowers the temp by 3-4 degrees F.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I know EXACTLY how you're feeling with this heat. Luckily I was on holiday in NZ so didn't have to deal with it haha. This is my first summer with a chiller and honestly it is worth the money when you can get one. I left it running while I was away and Steve was nice and cool. The fans just never did enough in the past, and the frozen bottle method is not realistic in an aussie summer haha.
Do a search for diy chillers in here. I have seen some posts before, I'll try and find them for you. How big is your tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!