Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does your axie do your head in too . . . . LOL

J

joanne

I don't know if I am lucky enough to own 4 of the cheekiest Axolotls in the world or do other axie owners also have little "tricksters"???

Let me explain.

I often come home to find at least one of my axies seemingly wedged somewhere (every time I think the tank's "axie proofed" they find another spot) and in the most WEIRD position. I start to panic . . .
How long have you been there? Are you OK? Are gills moving??? Please move!!
I stare, waiting for a sign - NOTHING.
sad.gif
I flick on the tank light, (mean I know, but better than poking them I tell myself!) Sometimes the light does the trick, they "wake up" and are off at high speed. Other times the light does nothing - they stay in their weird, awkward position, not moving. I get a little more worried. I wash my hands to free them, panic setting in . . . move whatever seems to have them pinned there and the little buggers slowly start to float upward.
cry.gif
Once they have bobbed there for a second or two - just long enough for me to think it's too late - I swear I hear them LAUGHING as they casually swim off!!!
biggrin.gif

I KNOW they do it on purpose!
smile6.gif
I swear they are trying to send me off to the Funny Farm LOL

Does anyone else out there have EVIL little pranksters like mine?

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Hahaha! Your axies must be evil little pranksters!Axelina has never done that!And am glad of that, don't think my heart could cope.I must add, there have been a few times when I have found Axelina sorta half floating, and panicked and poked her, but I think she has just been sleeping. Bless them, our lovely little, big, evil and sweet axies
lol.gif

A

alex

my axies always do the thing when they wedge themselves but they dont do the floaty thing. it sort of scares me to but im kind of used to knowing they are alright.

J

joanne

Maybe I do just worry too much and stress out too easily. But I still stand by my claim that the little pranksters know how easy it is to stress their mummy and do it for kicks LOL
lol.gif

K

kate

Joanne, I totally know what you mean... Java loves to do that too! And yes, she does the float as well.. freaks me out big time
nono.gif

J

jojo

LOL Jo!!
I know exaclty what you mean.
My axies only do it long enough to realise that its just me at the tank, then they start swimming to the front of the tank and stay there - left.... right... left ... right and for forth. Over and over and over again..

happy.gif

K

karen

It's funny I think it must some sort Axolotl humour... To wedge yourself in the most awkward of places and wait for a reaction. Every Axolotl that I've owned seems to have some great attraction to wedging itself in between the filter and the glass side of the tank... And like you guys have said as soon as they notice that you are watching or try to help free them, off they go in their very merry little way...

jessica

Reaction score
Hehe, I know what you mean. The other day, my little axolotl pressed himself against the filter and I thought he might be stuck, so I went across the hall to ask my friend what he thought I should do. Pretty soon, I had a small crowd around the tank yelling at me to pull the filter out, push him away from it, or turn the filter off. When I finally reached for the cord to unplug the filter, my axie got startled and swam away from the filter, perfectly fine. He wasn't stuck afterall, hehe.

J

joanne

I guess it's just ANOTHER part of owning the darling little, attention seeking, trickster, "Drama Queens" we all know and love - AXOLOTLS!
angel.gif

It's good to know that my little darlings aren't so unique after all with their plotting and scheming to drive me round the twist
crazy.gif

I now take great comfort from knowing that Axolotls EVERYWHERE have a terrible sense of humor! Just like my 4 babies - Falkor, Lotle, Statler and Waldorf.

love.gif
Just gotta love 'em don't ya!

S

sarah

my 2 did the same thing while i was giving them saltbaths they didnt move no matter what, i even picked em up and still no movement, except it backfired on em when the cat jumped on the table to see why i was up set and rap and tekno saw the cat the started to panic in their small container LOL they never did it again lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1