Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sickly skin, floating and trying to escape water

petghost

Reaction score
Hello, my golden albino axolotl has been looking quite un well for the past few months; at first i gave her a tea bath and hoped she would get better (because her tank mate is perfectly happy and looking 100%) when she started getting sick her gills got short and she became this brown colour instead of golden. this morning it has gotten worse and im unsure what else i can do for her, (shes being fridged because im scared of leaving her in a tank witt other axies while im at school for the day). she started frantically swimming to the top (like axolotls normally do) but bot stopping for air and appearing as though shes trying to escape the water. she did lay eggs around two months ago, but she was still healthy a week or two after laying them
im unable to test the water quality (because i down own a water test kit- and im 16 so ill have to try harrass my mum for one today) but going off the other axolotl id say its good, so i just dont know why shes acting up??
please help, im super worried

Attachments

• IMG_6027.jpg
    IMG_6027.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 169

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Water quality may be an issue, you should be able to take a water sample (100ml to be safe) to a pet/fish store. I think Petbarn do it if there's one near you. They may charge a small fee but sometimes it's free. Some axolotls are more sensitive than others to water quality which could be why your other one is fine.
Do you have a photo of it before? Colour changes do happen, it does look like a copper from the picture.
What temperature is the tank? I would avoid fridging unless it's needed as it'll reduce their appetite. You can keep it in a tub outside of the fridge.

petghost

Reaction score
unfortunate development, i came home today to find that she had died. im still unsure why, but to answer your questions; theres a photo of her before in this post (shes the gold axie on the left), shes def a gold albino, and the tank is at 20c. i will still get the water checked (despite the fact that all my other axolotls look extremely happy and healthy)

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Oh I am so sorry to hear! Yes it does look like a goldy. Let me know your water parameters so we can make sure it doesn't happen to the others

petghost

Reaction score
just tested the water (on my two tanks) literally everythings perfect. spot on to what it should be. i have a feeling maybe having babies was just too hard on her :( its very sad but i dont think theres anything i could have done for her..

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
sorry for your loss :(
glad your other ones seem ok, it might have been some infection/ illness that the others were able to fight off while she was too wiped out from laying eggs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1