Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl size: can they be pygmy?

TunaPips

Reaction score
Hi guys! My little guy is almost a year old now and i’ve noticed he’s still very small. He’s maybe 10 or 12cm and hasn’t grown for a while, he had a big growth spurt at about 6 months but seems to have stopped.

He eats very well, poops well, his water parameters are fine and the filter output isn’t too strong. He seemed very happy and I’m not worried about him I just wondered if it’s normal? Or if perhaps he’s pygmy?

Thank you!!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are others with small axies. You can dig around in the axie section and find stuff. Post a pic! Usually a small one is due to some type of genetic abnormality which may make a great pet but is not good to breed, as it weakens the already weaker captive bred stock. Captives are in general weaker because genetic weaknesses which would normally not allow them to survive in the wild don't necessarily get bred out, because of the easy captive life.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!