Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tokyoensis Tank Ideas

GeoNewt

Reaction score
I have had my 4 juvenile tokyoensis for about half a year now, and so I'm wondering how to make their tank more interesting and nicer to look at. Please could anyone post their pictures of tanks for tokyoensis or any other hynobius?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had some Hynobius for a while and found it hard to come up with a setup that worked well. They like to be in shallow wet hidden spots. I ended up with a tank with water, a 12x12 inch piece of slate, and a pile of cork bark on top of the slate. The water level was kept so that there was just a bit of water above the slate. This setup was easy to clean, and it made the sals happy, but it was not the most attractive.

Did you see the setup photos on the H. dunni caresheet page on Caudata Culture?

GeoNewt

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Yes I did see the two pictures of Hynobius dunni tanks, and thats the sort of thing I have in mind when mine grow up, but those are the only examples i've been able to find. I've read that certainly the dispositions of tokyoensis and dunni are very different, but would you recommend the same type of set-up for them?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1