Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ammonia Issues?

DigiriblePlum

Reaction score
Hi All

My 40L tank's been cycling for closing in on the two-month mark now and I'm having issues with the ammonia levels that seem weird to me ... then again, I'm a complete novice!

I can't seem to get the ammonia levels down below 0.25ppm. The nitrites are, however, sitting at 0ppm and the nitrates at about 20ppm. When I first saw this I thought it was just a hitch in the cycle and, sure enough, next time I checked the nitrites were back again but today, about 4 days after that test, it's back to 0.25-0-20

Is this just part of the cycle or has something gone wrong here?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Nitrites at 0 and nitrates at 20 is perfect. Do some small water changes, like 20% twice and week and see if that bring down ammonia. Have you checked the tank for the source of the ammonia?

landonewts

Reaction score
What are you using to treat the water, and to test it? I use Seachem Prime to dechlorinate, and while it's a great treatment, it can also give a false free ammonia reading. I was using the API kit to test for ammonia, among other things, and always got a readiong of .25 - .50 (Heck, even my plain tap water tests positive for overall ammonia with the API kit.) I now use the Seachem ammonia test to check free ammonia, and it works really well. I use the API kit for everything else.

Just something to try.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!