Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick juvenile axolotl- white splotches

Leiopelma

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a first-time axolotl owner. I got a couple of juveniles (about 3 months old) a black one and a gold one a few days ago. I set up their tank with a gravel filter, oxy shell, oxygen weed and about 35 litres of water. They're both about 8cm long.

Recently, the gold one has developed white splotches on his/her tail and a few white patches ont he gills. The gills are also facing forward and the tail was curling before (but has straightened out). I read some stuff on axolotl.org and it said that it may be a fungus or bacterial thing so I gave it a couple of salt baths yesterday and it seemed to get better. Today it's worse though.

I turned off the gravel filter in case the water flow was bothering them, no change. The black one seems to be doing fine (though it excreted a weird white, stringy substance the other day).

I have some feeder fish in with them (mosquito fish) but I put these in after the gold one seemed to be sick.

Any ideas on what to do? I will give it another salt bath today

Thanks!!

Leiopelma

Last edited:

Leiopelma

Reaction score
please can somebody help, I'm still waiting to see if it's ok...

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you able to provide a photo ? What temperature are they being kept at and what are the readings for ammonia ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!