Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

climate

Lisa

Reaction score
I have been wondering about something... Obviously here in Australia we have problems with heat for a few months of the year (longer in some places no doubt) and our ambient room temperatures get into the mid-high twenties at times resulting in warmer tanks and associated issues. There are obviously far fewer problems in North America, the UK and parts of Europe as summers are much cooler. But in winter in these countries people presumably heat their houses. So how do people heat their homes and keep axolotls in cool temperatures? Do they only heat their houses mildly, do they confine their axies to the unheated rooms, or do larger tanks just not heat up in the time that heating is on? I'm just curious really, as I lived in the UK for a year at one stage and a lot of the houses I lived in were really warm and I'm sure an axie would have struggled. :confused:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
My caudates have their own unheated bedroom (the window stays open in the winter, it's air-conditioned in the summer). Regardless of that, with the high costs of heating, most of us don't heat our houses above the low 70's, which is well within the acceptable range for axolotls.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I keep most of mine in my unheated basement, but I'm so cheap about heating my house, it seldom goes above 64 F in the winter, and the tank is always a few degrees cooler than the room temp.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
My axolotl are kept below a window that is open a notch during the winter months. ( unless hubby notices and then it becomes a game of open/shut the window). Summertime can get warm and sticky but so far i have been able to keep the temperature down with a fan. If it got too much they will have a short holiday in the fridge.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1