Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

P. waltl fat requirements in diet?

ChristineB

Reaction score
Have there been any feeding trials on ribbed newts to see how well they do with more or less fat in the diet? The reason I ask is that I know they do well on the widely recommended salmon pellets, which are 44% protein, 18% fat. Yet I find Hikari Sinking Carnivore pellets so convenient to feed, I would love to use them as a staple (pricey, but I only have three mouths to feed!) but the fat content is much lower: 47% protein, 5% fat. The only other staple as low in fat is nightcrawlers. Is that lack of fat detrimental to their health? If so, could it be remedied with occasional snacks of waxworms (about 46% fat) or guppies?

Thanks in advance!

Ref: Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values

Last edited by a moderator:

Rupert

Reaction score
This is just a personal opinion but considering how they can be fed earthworms exclusively without any health issues, I don't think less fat is anything of a bad thing. I think the bigger issue is the phosphoros:calcium ratio.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
P. waltl are undemanding and often overfed in captivity. Most carnivorous diets would be fine. Making sure their is calcium in the diet is probably more important than fat content.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!