Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Outdoor vivarium project

outdoorvivaria

Reaction score
Three new outdoor vivariums I am building.

Havent decided on species yet but I will keep a little diary of their progress on here if people are interested?

The foundations are made of concrete with loose gravel in teh centre to provide adequate drainage and prevent unwatned burrowing (in or out)

D0CCD3CD-4FE0-4787-8038-A54753044ABA_zpsugeqxwpt.jpg

The walls will be p[plastered with smooth plaster

6CB70579-FD68-4971-A555-4AE2423E44C3_zpsxgetxbmb.jpg

This one will be for a newt species. The pond is quite deep.

5978D982-C110-4EF6-8923-D2526B53AB10_zpsnunnbvcu.jpg

Reactions: sde

sde

Reaction score
Fantastic!

And yes, I would love it if you kept a diary on the progress, I am very interested!

Looking great so far! :D

dennacerise

Reaction score
Looks awesome so far! I would also love if you posted updates as you go.

Odd

Reaction score
Almost a year later, anything happening with these?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

outdoorvivaria

Reaction score
Sorry I have not updated in a while.

The vivs have been completed and the plants have grown.

There are three vivariums that house Bombina variegata, T.carnifex and S.terrestris

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

Brackon Ward

Reaction score
would really love to get some Salamandra salamandra fastuosa and do something along these lines but not so permanent. I would rather dig down than make an above ground structure but thats just me. Would anyone know if S. salamandra fastuosa would be able to live outside in the Seattle area year round?

sde

Reaction score
would really love to get some Salamandra salamandra fastuosa and do something along these lines but not so permanent. I would rather dig down than make an above ground structure but thats just me. Would anyone know if S. salamandra fastuosa would be able to live outside in the Seattle area year round?

Not sure about fastuasa, but i have S. s. salamandra that are outdoors all year round. Unfortunately though i am not sure how you would get fastuosa...i doubt there are any in the state and they can't be imported from Europe.

Brackon Ward

Reaction score
Not sure about fastuasa, but i have S. s. salamandra that are outdoors all year round. Unfortunately though i am not sure how you would get fastuosa...i doubt there are any in the state and they can't be imported from Europe.

Yeah sadly I think I will be doing this in a few years and hopefully the ban will be eliminated and I can order them from someone in California or the east coast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natalie

Reaction score
I am not able to open the photos on my phone, but wondering if a large vivarium with 30 cm high wall, underground mesh and 10 cm glass lip protruding both outside and inside would tame shrews, rats and moles?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!