Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl juvenile substrate

BrxmB

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I'm new to this forum and i bought my first 2 axolotls last week. I want to move them into their new tank but I read something that they can't be on sand when they're young. I will add the pictures of the sand, it looks bigger than it is. It's actually 0.5 to 1.5 mm in width. The axos themselves are around 10 cm in length.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG-20190508-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20190508-WA0000.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG-20190508-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20190508-WA0002.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG-20190508-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20190508-WA0001.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 200

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
the reason sand isnt suggested for axolotls under 5inches/ 12 cm is the risk for impaction (or eating too much of it to pass). since your guys are 10cm they might be ok but just be aware of the risk.

feeding them in a tub outside of the tank might reduce the risk but ive seen people who did that but still had an impaction. keep a close eye on them if you do add them to that tank, if you notice they are eating the sand (and not pooping it out) you'll need to fridge them asap to help them pass it.

BrxmB

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I'll keep a real close eye on them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1