Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Looking good??

19barsav

Reaction score
Hello!

I just recently bought a baby axolotl, about 2 inches long. I have never had a completely aquatic pet, so I was wondering if you all could look at a video of him and let me know if he seems healthy! His tail isn't curved and his gills look lighter than normal, but the blue light also dulls them. I've had him for a week, and he has pooped a couple times already.

I did not know about cycling when I recieved him so the tank is still cycling but I test everyday. The ammonia has been going down, and is at 0.25 ppm at the moment. I am doing water changed when the ammonia starts to rise above 0.25 ppm. I am day/night cycling him, and his water temp is at 67 degrees farenheit. (The pet store had him at room temp, so I had to bring that quite a bit down!)

I have no idea of his gender as of yet, and he is eating frozen blood worms. He has a filter that i am offsetting with his hut, and a small bubbler that i have a valve on to give very little flow. (Its also a blue light to help him glow a bit)

Please let me know if there is more i can do or anything i need to change! I have a bearded dragon and those are a little bit different to care for, haha.

I hyper-linked the video, and pasted it. :)

Videohttps://photos.app.goo.gl/a3RrRgXwFSj9e84N7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/a3RrRgXwFSj9e84N7

Giuseppe

Reaction score
Video won't process for some reason but from everything you've said and the thumbnail he looks good! Keep an eye out for impaction as I see he's on sand and is still really small. It's great for adults but can still cause problems in little babies, you can help offset that risk by tong feeding or putting food on a plate or piece of slate to eat. I don't think you have remove the sand or anything just something to keep an eye on!

19barsav

Reaction score
Thank you! When I first put him in there he tried to eat it and spit it back out right after (it was hilarious :)) He hasn't tried that again and is super careful when he eats, and has been pooping quite a bit. I'll continue to watch him!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!