Abscess Help

Dani736

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I posted in a different sub category but thought I would try here.

I’m very new to owning Axies. I have one who had an abscess on his head. I was unsure what to do until I found you guys here, so it went on for longer than it should have.

I eventually found a vet who would see us who has cleaned out the abscess and he is now on antibiotics.

My question is how long before he should look a bit better, he is very sick still and I am not sure he is looking any better. If anything maybe a little less active and not happy at all.

I do not want him to suffer if there is no hope. Can anyone give me an indication of what to expect when dealing with this.

I don't have any experience with this at all, but I am so glad you were able to get to a vet! How long are the antibiotics for?

its hard to find even general healing times for some reason, personally it took my axy about 2 months to regrow a circular bite out of his tail, maybe half a cm wide. hes a juvenile so maybe an adult would take slightly longer, im not entirely sure.
i know the colder end of the normal range helps promote faster healing (mid to low 60'sF/15-18c) as does great water quality so focus on that and they should heal up with time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back