Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Biological filtration

vladimere

Reaction score
Okay after having some trouble with water in our modified tank turning a dirty yellow color and a little bit of a smell issue i started some research on the net on diy biological filter set ups and came across a great idea using a 5o liter plastic drum a pond pump and certain bio parts sch as sponges and bio noodles and things of such i was wandering if it was ok to use nitrate gravel in the filter if it would be harmful to the axis ? 2nd question was seeing i have to use a pump that will turn over the tank capacity three times(which means i would have to use a 730liter pond pump ) would this actually stress the axis out too much(As for the problem of the axis going near the pump itself we have worked out a way to hide it n covered so they wont get to curious /and or get hurt by the pump itself oh i forgot to mention the axis tank is a modified 500l spa bath

jclee

Reaction score
Before doing anything else, I would want to find out what is leading to the yellowed, foul smelling water. What kind of filtration do you have going already, and how often are you feeding how many axolotls?

I am not sure that I understand your first question correctly. I think you are asking if you can use gravel from a cycled tank (i.e. already has nitrates and a biological filter on it) inside the filter that you would like to add. If that is your question, I think it should be safe as long as you are certain that the gravel cannot get out into the tank. I am not sure why you would have to, though. Is the tank you are running uncycled at this point?

I am not really familiar with the filter that you are describing, but if it creates a strong current, then it will stress your axolotls. The options would be to either modify the filter or its output/intake somehow, so that the current is slowed, or look into a different filter that will not create such a current. I am curious where you read that you need a pump that turns over the tank's water three times? Is this in an hour? I know that for fish, it is recommended to have a filter that moves 10X the tank's water within an hour, for optimal water quality, but I that think because axolotls are so sensitive to current, many people go for weaker filters and more frequent water changes. The filter on my 20 gallon fish tank cycles through 280 gallons per hour, but the filter on my 20 gallon axolotl tank only cycles through 105 gallons per hour (and I have modified the output to decrease the current.)

Again, I think the most important thing is to figure out what's fouling the water before making a big change.

ted22

Reaction score
Good answer jclee, find out what is causing the yellow water, is it something in the tank that might not be suitable? (types of stones, wood, substrate) also do you spot clean the tank? i go round with a turkey baster twice daily, are you removing all uneaten food after feeding? (some foods can spoil quickly) when did you last clean your filter or replace the sponge? also if using sand how deep is it? deep sand can create gas pockets that make the water smelly and toxic, also weekly 20-30% water change is necessary but daily partial water change will be needed to get rid of the smell!

Dont know enough about filters to help with the other point though sorry!

vladimere

Reaction score
ok we have no idea of why the water gets discolored the sand is about a inch deep we do spot clean and the water parameters are spot on all uneaten food is taken out 5 mins after feeding the whole thing has us muffd the filter is a 500L canister filter that had a ffilter sponge replaced the other day (we seem to think its the filter thats the problem) so to combat this my daughter gave me a hand to build the bio idea usein a low grade powerhead n a small plastic wheelie bin from a $2 shop and after constructing it we havent noticed any yellow water just yet and the smelly water is slowly going away(daughter got her waterfall after all) thanks for the advice guys

vladimere

Reaction score
unfortunately we have sprung a leak and have to get more media for the insides of the filter(forgot to get more then i needed the kids were nagging bout going the pet shop lol )after fixing it i remembered i forgot to take some pics so here they are

Attachments

• P1813_02-07-10.jpg
    P1813_02-07-10.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 342
  • P1814_02-07-10.jpg
    P1814_02-07-10.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 322
  • P1815_02-07-10.jpg
    P1815_02-07-10.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 295

ted22

Reaction score
Hmm tis a mystery, something must be causing it! sorry I cant help you further.

Could it be algae turning the water yellow? Ive never had an algae prob so dont know what it does to the water. Tis good your parameters are all in check though, at least you know it shouldnt be poisonous for your axies!

Good luck finding the problem and building your filter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!