Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Introducing a new Axy

lorraine

Reaction score
Hi I have just come across this site this afternoon, after searching the net trying to find out about introducing a new Axy into my tank. I am going to get a larger tank in the next couple of weeks and when I do, I was going to hopefully add another Axy (which will be young). I currently have 1 Leucistic male about 2.5 years old. Would he accept another Axy or not? I was thinking about putting in a divider and giving them time to get used to each other before allowing them free in the tank. If it is ok, would it be better to get a male or female. He already has places to hide and I would get other items for them to hide in so they can get away from each, my main concern is will Stimpy chase and attack the newcomer, I have heard and been told conflicting things so I am hopeing you guys will be able to help me.

Thankyou

Lorraine

deliriah

Reaction score
You would have to be sure the axies are a similar size to avoid aggression. This does not mean that there won't be, depending on the axolotls they may still not get along but being the same size will help your chances.

Also don't forget that you should keep any new addition in a quarantine tank for 30 days to be sure it doesn't have anything it could pass on to your current Axolotl.

Other things to concider are;
How big is the tank they will be sharing?
How long have you had the first axolotl?
You've come to the right place for information. There is plenty to go around on this forum. There are also caresheets and articles loaded with helpfull information as well. So read up, ask away, and welcome to the forum!:D

lorraine

Reaction score
Hi thankyou, I have had Stimpy since he was very young so 2.5 years, The new tank I am getting will be 80cmx34x30.

Any idea which would be a better sex to get if I did decide to get another

Just another question, I have heard of feeding tubs for them, were can I look at these as up till now I have always finger fed Stimpy worms or blood worm.

Thanks again for your help.

melfly

Reaction score
You need i would say minimum of 90 cm in length for two axolotls

Mel

lorraine

Reaction score
You need i would say minimum of 90 cm in length for two axolotls

Mel

Thanks Mel

Its not a problem getting the next size up, :happy:

Can anyone advise me on the best sex to get male or female, and where I could get these feeding tubs from?

melfly

Reaction score
Hi
Well...its up to you whether or not you fancy them breeding.
If you have plans to raise the young, pass eggs onto people etc then by all means get a female. (there may be problems with too much breeding which could, and i mean could, lead you to have to seperate them) If not it would be simpler getting a male.

2 males wont fight etc so you have no worries there.

You could hand feed the axies. I'm sure a new one will soon learn hand = food

I have 3 adults and i find it easy to just hand them each a worm. I know who has eaten what, no waste or mess.

Hope this helps
Mel

lorraine

Reaction score
Thanx Mel

I was hoping you would say that 2 males will be ok together, Now for getting my new tank :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1