Live daphnia from Aquatic shop for rearing Axolotl eggs

dazkeirle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Daz
Hi all, in the absence of being able to find healthy axolotls in my area I've decided I want to grow my own from eggs after all.

My immediate concern was that I wouldn't have anything to feed them, and don't want to risk messing up with a poorly constructed BBS hatchery and killing the eggs.

My local 'good' fish shop is literally across the road, they sell fresh live Daphnia in water straight from the fridge, refreshed daily. Will this be a good enough food source for the little guys until they get big enough for blood and earthworms?

Other than that, Am I right in thinking all I need now is a small,lunchbox like container, fresh dechlorinated water and some patience?

If there is a simple FAQ or guide to raising axies I'd more than welcome a linky.

Thanks.

If you were to breed the Daphnia, you would have small juveniles that are about the same size as hatched brine shrimp, so yes it would work.
Once they grow a bit, adult Daphnia would make an excellent choice.

ok guys, cheers,

not a problem seems fairly straight forward to rear bbs, looking at the materials i'll need to buy eggs, some more airline, some stiff airline and some salt and make a little housing for it.

Just been on ebay and they have kits that have it all for £10 so think I'll go for one of them for convenience.

sweet... to be continued

I cut a hole in the lid of the bottle and run my airline in that way as I think it works a bit better. But any way will do really.

I also pierced a hole through the lid it works fine, I would not bother with the hatcheries you can buy they a small and not very good, just make a couple they really are simple, have a few practice runs and it will be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back