Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Odd behaviour

vladimere

Reaction score
Ok i have a question. has anyone ever witnessed thier axolotls rolling over and playing dead then back over onto there feet(like spot the dog playing dead). I have never see the behavior before

ted22

Reaction score
Re: Odd behaviouer

Gomez doesnt play dead (although he does get into some strange positions) but I have heard alot of stories about the playing dead thing on here and the axies always seem to be fine. My guess is that they fall asleep and fall over (after gomez gulps air to make himself bouant he is always having to correct his balance to stay upright) so i can imagine that if he fell asleep all full of air he could just topple over so that might be it!

Remain on the cautious side just incase there is a problem but from what you've said its seems pretty normal (if abit strange)!

vladimere

Reaction score
Re: Odd behaviouer

Strange positions is right but after sitting and watching.We have discovered that he only does this when our female(golden albino) is either in front or next to him. So we are thinking he might be trying to get her interested in him.

ted22

Reaction score
Ha you got some weird axolotl kinky playing dead thing going on, how strange never heard that one!

But the it wouldnt surprise me!

They're Silly things these axolotl monsters!

If he does the playing dead thing again try and get a pic or some footage, would be good to see what he looks like (not in any axo-morbid kinda way) just in case I walk in one day and see Gomez on his back and fear the worst!

Anyways let us know if you find out more about this strange habit!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!