Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Potential Owners Questionairre Suggestions?

tigmades

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My hatchlings are probably 3-4 weeks away from being adopted (should be ~2.5" by then) and I have started to look for owners.

I wanted to make an adoption form to make sure that the potential owner knows their stuff.... and right now I'm feeling like a zombie haha, so I'm having trouble coming up with questions. Suggestions? This is what I have so far:

Size tank that they will be going in:
Will anything else living be in the tank? If so, list:
What do you plan on feeding them as they grow?:
What are you going to use for substrate as they grow?:
What water temperature do you plan on keeping them at and how?:

I will also provide an "adoption pamphlet" that will have additional information and hopefully common illnesses and their solutions.

FX1C

Reaction score
This is a link to my listing on gumtree...

Golden Axolotls - Healthy like they should be! Sydney Area | Fish | Gumtree Australia Inner Sydney - Sydney City

I'd rather put the information out there & filter the idiots in the first round.

Personally if the person has kept aquariums & understands cycling they are already ahead of the game - getting them to understand the risks early on is vital!

I will not sell one to a child without the parent completely understanding the care regime & I insist that they check that everything is right - including supervising water testing & temperature regularly - most are really good & agree that's fair for the animal :)

Good luck :)

tigmades

Reaction score
Hehe, that's oddly very similar to what I put up on my ad, too :D - I'll add that bit about light and water testing.

The whole point of making them fill out the form is so I know for sure they know what they're doing. It's easy to read one thing and not keep it in the noggin - at least this way I am aware of what conditions they plan on keeping the axolotl, and that if they regurgitate the info back to me, they're less likely to forget vital information. I haven't worked more on my form, but the first person who has offered a serious interest is actually looking forward to filling it out! Those are the kind of people I want to receive the babies ^_^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1