Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: I Seem to Have a Unique problem

Ninjaflipper

Reaction score
So a couple months ago my axolotl stopped eating and defecating, along with checking water parameters and making sure everything was in order, I heard fridging was a good way to fix the problem. All water parameters were perfect so I put her in the fridge to further investigate the problem. I followed the fridging guide to the teeth and changed water daily.

But living in Texas with no external cooling, approaching on the winter months, and with my living situation soon changing, I decided to only take her out when I had a new bigger tank with the proper cooling and filtration as my original tank was pushing 68 F.

I feel I should also mention that I was feeding around 4 pellets twice a day which was a youth feeding schedule the I never changed.

She was in the fridge for 2 or 3 months, she didn't poop or eat a single time.

Just today my new 20gal with a new chiller and a canister filter was cycled and ready for her. I put her in at about 9pm, it's currently 2am and she hasn't eaten the pellets I put in front of her or defecated.

Color me a bit concerned, she appears to have energy, though she hasn't moved from her cave but she certainly has been moving a lot in the cave and going up for air.

Is there perhaps a laxative the axolotl's can have? I feel like the issue may be she's just extremely backed up.

Any help would be appreciated!

Eternie

Reaction score
The reason could simply be since Axolotls can be picky just as we do, that she could be sick of just pellets everyday. Perhaps try to go out and get some bloodworm cubes, and try giving her a quarter to half of a cube (depending on the size of the cube) and put it in her tank (be sure to thaw out the frozen bloodworms first by taking some of her tank water with a turkey baster, putting it in a cup, allow it to thaw out for a few minutes, then use the turkey baster to suck up the bloodworms then put the baster down where you want the bloodworms, allow them to gather at the bottom then pick the baster up off the ground slightly and very gently squeeze the top.) Or you can go out and buy some NightCrawler or Redwriggler worms, as Axolotls absolutely love Earthworms and will take them any day, just cut them up into smaller pieces if they are too big for her. And she could just not be pooping because she isnt eating. If that doesn't work, I suggest trying to find a vet that treats axolotls at that point. I hope this works. Good Luck! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!