Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Lump/bump/growth on tail?

Poodlay

Reaction score
Hello! Looking for some advice regarding a weird lump on my axolotl.

Before anyone asks, water temp is high 60s (F) cooled with frozen bottles and parameters are normal. He's been living in the same aquarium since I got him, so I don't think the lump is related to his tank. The only other critters living in there are some tiny snails that hitchhiked on some plants from the pet store- but those have been breeding and living in there since before I got my axolotl.

He's about six months old and a couple months ago I noticed he had a tiny white pimple-looking thing on his tail. It's some weeks later now and the bump has grown considerably larger- it looks to be a little bigger than a pea, now.

I think maybe he thrashed around a little bit a while ago and injured that spot somehow and his body's just gone a little confused with trying to regenerate his injury?

Should I just leave it alone? It doesn't seem to bother him at all or hurt him, although his tail sits tilted to the side a bit when he's idle now. Whenever I poke at it with the chopstick or touch him he just treats it as if I were touching any other part of his tail. I've felt it and it's not hard or anything- it just feels kind of squishy like the rest of him. There are even veins and stuff I can see growing through it.

If it is a case of regeneration gone awry, I've read of other people's axolotls growing extra arms or gills and owners just kind of... snipping the extras off...? I really would rather not have to do this for obvious reasons.

I know people will probably just tell me, "take him to the vet", but I figured I'd try a nice, free alternative first. I live on Oahu in Hawaii and the only exotic vets I know of are crazy expensive.

Also, a little unrelated, but can anybody tell if this is a boylotl? It sure seems like he's got boy-bits, but I wanted to be sure because I was going to introduce him to a tank with another boy axolotl and I don't want to be an axolotl grandma.

Thanks all,
-Poodlay

Attachments

• JkdVqq7.jpg
    JkdVqq7.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 202
  • wpoBBlw.jpg
    wpoBBlw.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 3ENzqwP.jpg
    3ENzqwP.jpg
    695.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Bjg6Gms.jpg
    Bjg6Gms.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 135
  • EyUfrya.jpg
    EyUfrya.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 122

Kitan

Reaction score
Okay, this is REALLY just a guess, but it does look like a tumor. As for what you should do about it, I think you might need a vet for this one.

6 months old is too young to be certain, but I would guess he's a male. His finger tips havent gone dark yet though, so he isnt even sexually mature yet, so I would really wait. The big problem you are going to have getting him a friend at this point would be even if he was mature, finding another axolotl that is the same age\size who is ALSO mature would be highly unlikely which drastically increases the likely hood of you being a grandma. I would suggest waiting at least two months . I have had the same "problem" with mine in that I have had to wait before even beginning to look at getting him a friend.

Poodlay

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Ugh, I guess I should start looking for a vet.

As to the tankmate issue, I already have another approximately 3y old boylotl in a 20gal long all by himself and thought he could use a friend. I've been waiting for this guy to grow out more so he won't become lunch.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1