Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Probable impaction

kerry

Reaction score
Pancho is showing classic signs of a bowel impaction - he has a swollen cloaca, is an uncomfortable-looking 'wiggly' shape, and has bright red, forward-pointing gills. Fortunately there are no signs of bloating right now.

I'm not sure what could have caused it. I got rid of the gravel about 9 months ago, although I suppose there could still be some left inside him. Another thing I thought of was that I fed him 2 or 3 mealworms a week or two ago. I knew to crush the jaws but only just read that their shells can be difficult for axolotls to pass.

I know there isn't much I can do to help him but I still have a couple of questions. Firstly, his appetite is as huge as ever but I don't know whether I should feed him or not while he is all clogged up - would this help him or make things worse? Also, what are people's opinions on putting him in the fridge? I realise this won't 'cure' him but could it make him more comfortable?

Any advice much appreciated!

digger

Reaction score
hi
i would definately put him in the fridge this will help destress him and also aids them in going for a poo as they are more relaxed.
dont forget to pop a bottle of dechlorinated water in there with him and cover him with some thing dark.
good luck hope all goes well

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!