Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pipa pipa Underwater frogs (toads)

Viking

Reaction score
I am thinking of ordering a group of this unusual frog. What set up do I need?
it sounds like they like to be warm. It sounds like they are a challenge to induce to spawn.

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
Ooooh I love those guys! Are you getting mating pairs? Does breeding them have a negative impact on the female because of how the young live inside her? I’m sorry I don’t know much about keeping them, I’ve onky seen them in zoos! I did not even know that they could be sold as pets. Where would you be ordering them from?

Viking

Reaction score
A friend in of my frog club importing a group of fish. The price is not high. Frogs do not mate for life in my understanding. I just need to buy enough to get boys and girls..

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
Fascinating! Would you sell the froglets? I’ve heard Pipa Pipa have a high success rate in breeding because of they carry the eggs and offspring for so long.

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
It takes that long to mature? Strange! My African Clawed Frog was tiny when I got him and him after just three months he began loudly calling. I had assumed it would similar for Suriname toads since they are also pipidae. How long do they live?

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
Also, this got me very interested in them and I did a little research on them, mostly talking to a few herpetologists and local fish stores I found that sell and keep them(I forgot to ask them about lifespan) I can pass the care information they gave me onto you if you would like?

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
Just at least one thing I have heard is that breeding is actually very difficult because they need to move a lot during the mating so most breeders have had better luck breeding them in tank with a depth of at least four feet, and the breeding can take as long as 36 hours.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1