Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from BC

fey

Reaction score
Greetings amphibian lovers!
My name is Fey and I live in Northern British Columbia, Canada. I recently moved here from the coast. Originally I'd been planning to only come up for the summer, but since I'm staying longer I picked up my fire-bellied newt D'Artagnon from the friend who'd been looking after them when I moved and made the trip as smooth and fast as I could. They weathered the trip well and is settling in well in their 20 gal tank next to my kitchen sink.
I'd love to get another newt friend for them, but I'm not sure if they're legal to sell here anymore since my pet store stopped carrying them (perhaps a concern over them becoming invasive?).
Anyway, glad to find a place to ask all my newt-related questions and look at other cuties.

Attachments

• 43823329_1966103810169793_2181306493981163520_n.jpg
    43823329_1966103810169793_2181306493981163520_n.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 103

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also I'm surprised you found one! I haven't seen wc newts in stores in ages. They do NOT like company in their tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1