Hi! I'm Tya from Winnipeg

Tya123

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello everyone. I have been a silent user for a while, but I feel I owe it to myself and my axolotl boy to say hi. My name is Tya, and I have a golden albino axolotl named Groot. I adopted him in January 2017 and he was only 4 cm long. Now he must be at least 20, although I'd never expect him to sit still enough for me to actually measure him.

Groot is extremely active for an axolotl, I always say he's dancy ;) At first I was concerned about his hyper behaviour, but thanks to this forum, I came to understand that axies have a variety personalities.He is very healthy and happy, thank goodness. I have adapted to his energy, and accepted that I must constantly provide enrichment by rotating his environment and toys. As taxing as that might be at times, I've come to love and appreciate our routine!

Groot and I have been learning together. For example, I had to remove his cave and replace it with a more open hide. He was continuously tearing the end of his tail. I thought it was perhaps because the edges were too sharp but I recently read on this forum that an owner saw their axolotl chew its own tail! I know Groot loved to curl up in the cave so that is possible but I never witnessed it myself. Anyway we've figured out our groove, and Groot has permanently converted me into an axolotl lady :)

Welcome! Oh I loooove the name, my two are named Steve and Bucky :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back