Holtfreter's solution

S

sharyl

Many other sites say axies should be kept in Holtfreter's Solution 40% (particularly Ind U Axyl Colony) but I haven't seen much discussion on that here. Is anyone using this? I ordered the salts but had trouble finding out where to get them if not at the university. Lots of info is available on how to mix them but not how to acquire the components. They make it sound like it is really ideal--I am imagining it as a definite QOL improver. Experience? Thoughts?

Axolotls like hard water. If your water is hard Hoftretters solution is not as important. If your water is soft Hoftretters or some type of minerals and or salts should be added. I'm sure their would be some benifit to using it in hard water but it is not as important to ammend hard water.

Thanks. The water is already hard. Can it be too hard? (Or if it's still liquid it's soft enough?!)
I had one with diarrhea and was hoping the Hof's would clear it up. (I can't tell if it has cleared up--I'd have to put them into smaller containers to tell.) Hoping its not some kind of impaction--I know they took in some green gravel at the pet store, and I see a piece now and then). Both are eating well though--blackworms mainly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back