Ways to keep tank cool!!!

brtnykys

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, I currently live in a cold area that stays cool year round (and keeps my tank perfectly chilled) but I will be moving in a few months to a town which is much warmer on average. I am worried that the summer months may bring the temperature of my tank to an unhealthy level and was wondering what DIY kind of cooling solutions you have come up with to keep your tank cool. I understand that tank chillers are available but they are so expensive and as a struggling student I can't afford a $200 chiller and keeping an air conditioner on 24/7 will probably hurt me financially as well.

I understand that fans and the placement of the tank in a cool,dark, and low area is essential for temperature control, but I am wondering how well this will work in a town that can see temperatures in the high 80s and even 90s during the summer months.

Does anybody have some suggestions which won't cost me an arm and a leg? I might be willing to buy a chiller if you could suggest trustworthy brands that are on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

I have a 20 gallon tank and 2 axolotls. Thanks all, I am really worried and I don't want to re-home my babies!

Hello, I live in Australia where it is still summer and we have had two hot spells this year already. Both with temperatures over 106 F for a number of days.

To keep my tank cool (three foot tank with one axie) I used milk cartons with frozen water that i floated in the tank and I put a portable fan and air conditioner on as well.
This is not an ideal arrangement and i have just paid for a chiller on ebay. I bid on a second hand one that went for $330 but missed out and instead have bought a new Hailea for slightly more.

I have been advised that this should lower the tank temperature by up to 12 degrees, which would be good. It comes with a thermostat too.

You could just put your axolotl in the fridge in the summer months.

There are lots of threads about fans, which can drop your temperature 3-4 degrees, depending on humidity. But you have to top up the water frequently.

Thank you both for your advice. I will look at chillers but fans and refrigeration seem to be the way I'll have to go for a while.

Hi,

I was on stumble upon the other day and saw this. I am "lucky" enough to live somewhere cold enough so I don't need it but it may help you!?

Thermo-Electric Axolotl Cooling

I would go with fans. I put together 3 computer fans i just about 30 mins including the "suspension mechanism" (a few steel wires) and it lowered my temperature from 20-21 to around 18.

Here:
KkgH0.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back