Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I have axolotl eggs... and lots of them! -First timer!

Kirby

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am just posting here mainly for help and guidance as I'm quite new at this and want to get it right but also to let anybody know that I have eggs if they want any!

They were laid on Tuesday 15th May (5 days ago!) by my black axolotl, Juggernaught, (that i thought was a boy!) She is in a tank with 2 males (one black and one albino pink/white).

I took the eggs out of the axxie tank and into their own tank with an air stone and have been monitoring them.

Most of them look fertile from what information i can gather.. they all turned into a 'eye' shape on the 4th day and now they are looking even bigger and kidney shaped. They're definitely forming!

Here are a few photos of the development...

The day they were laid

292502_10150813681152944_512802943_9690135_326601196_n.jpg

Yesterday (and the mom!)

577286_10150813683767944_512802943_9690155_171515483_n.jpg

Today (5 days later!)

481275_10150813692647944_512802943_9690199_1357742550_n.jpg

How do you guys think they are looking? Fertile or not?

Thanks for any help and i have LOADS so if anybody wants any, just give me a shout! :)

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
They look good to me. None look cloudy yet, and the day 5 pics look like they are no longer round so I would say they are off to a good start.

If you are wanting to keep them from being eaten you should remove them from the tank or they will become food when they hatch. If you are not wanting to raise them you could leave those that are not given away and nature will take place.

I know some will give me a hard time for saying that but it is nature, the simple fact we have these creatures in tanks is unnatural. I'm not giving mine up any time soon but just stating a fact.

Kirby

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your advice! I am very much looking forward to and hoping for some babies but not all of them! I don’t want to have a tank full of axxies that i can't get rid of!

i did leave some eggs in the parents tank, but wussed out and removed them into the 'nursery' tank! Its all incredibly exciting! :)

There are literally about 3 or 4 out of over a hundred that have gone cloudy, so I think were doing well for our first time!

I am aware that mummy axxie has lost some filaments, btw, viewable in the picture. There is another thread I started to try and combat the filament loss. L Very worried about my poor little guys, but very please I get to experience axxie eggs! J

I appear to be having a bit of trouble keeping the tanks cool.. any ideas? Theyre usually around 16C but I need to keep it at that as it can fluctuate :s

Kirby

Reaction score
Hiya,

That would be great. They have hatched now! I have found homes for alot of them but still have quite a few left! And they're still hatching! Any help would be mega appreciated!

I'm just wondering, at what age do they need to be put in sand and have a filter? They have an air stone :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1