Feeding Stages for Hatchlings

HannahMarie

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been compiling information from multiple posts and articles trying to make a timeline of food to feed once my eggs hatch. So this is what I have:

First Month: BBS, Daphnia/Moina, (microworms? mixed info about that)
After 1 month (about 1" long hatchlings): Chopped blackworms, Whiteworms
At 2": Earthworms?
Once legs develop: Can begin frozen/pellet food

I really appreciate any additions or corrections to the list :)

At around 2 inches/2 months you should switch them to frozen bloodworms. Frozen bloodworms remain the staple for juveniles then as adults they switch to Earthworms, which are a great staple diet. Pellets aren't necessary if you're feeding earthworms, but can be offered to supplement the earthworms.

They require live food for the first 4-6 weeks, anything that is small enough to fit in their mouth is fine - BBS for the first 3-4 weeks, then daphnia/moina or small live bloodworms. Blackworms, whiteworms, microworms etc all fine.

Then onto small worms once they get front legs - I usually mix live and frozen bloodworm for a couple of days, then they get the idea and can move onto frozen bloodworm.

Once they have back legs and their mouths are big enough for earthworms (2"+) you can move them on. I use chopped small earthworms to start, and alternate bloodworm and earthworm.

I haven't had much luck with pellets and babies, but don't let that stop you giving it a go.

You need to figure out what works for your babies and your food supply - I can't seem to breed daphnia quick enough to feed my babies, and the local supply is naff, so I move to frozen bloodworm as soon as I can, then add earthworms for calcium as soon as they are big enough.

At 2" chopped worm is fine, just make sure its small enough for them to eat. They will also take 1 mm amphibian or trout pellets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back