Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Typhlotriton spelaeus

N

nate

Hello, here's some photos of my Typhlotritons.

<center>
3398.jpg
</center>

<center>
3399.jpg
</center>

<center>
3400.jpg
</center>

<center>
3401.jpg
</center>

Here's some photos of the larvae.
<center>
3402.jpg
</center>

<center>
3403.jpg
</center>

<center>
3404.jpg
</center>

R

ralf

Once again Nate. Excellent pictures of a rare species (both in captivity and in the wild). Did you collect respectively breed these yourself?
Hopefully you can use this coolpix a little longer and treat us to some further "visual thrills".

Ralf

Y

yago

Great pictures and what a curious animal!!!
Did you breed them? How many thyplotritons do you have?
Any information and curiosities about their captive care?
Best wishes

N

nate

Thanks guys. I collected them myself but have not bred them yet. I only have two adult males so far and the larval period can last as long as 5 years. I suspect they will be easy to breed. They are easy captives, very hardy, and surprisingly aggressive feeders.

Ralf, while rare in captivity, Typhlotriton is not rare in the wild and larvae are often very abundant in surface streams and springs.

Yago, I currently keep 5 animals. Some past molecular data has shown that Typhlotriton is really a specialized Eurycea, very closely related to the E. m. griseogaster/E. tynerensis complex.

TJ

Reaction score
Cute lil' bugger. Can it actually see? Looks a bit like an olm to me.

N

nate

The larvae see perfectly. The amount of eye degeneration in the adults varies. Some can still see crickets moving or a shadow moving over their head. This particular adult cannot see anything though as far as I can tell.

R

russ

The bugger with Typhlotriton is that you can find hundreds of larvae, but the adults are trickier to find. I know a couple of streams near Noel, AR, that are loaded with larvae. But I've only found a handfull of adults, and we used to spelunk quite a bit.

RUSS

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!