Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

When do fire belly newts become aquatic

Newt27

Reaction score
Hello i have two fire belly newts about 5 cm and i was just wondering when they become aquatic.

I have a 10 gallon tank with mostly water and quite a few rocks and such to climb out of the water on. I do have a filter

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
You can often "persuade" them to go aquatic by keeping them in a shallow aquatic setup with lots of live plants and eventually starting to increase the water level every couple weeks

Newt27

Reaction score
Thanks but i put a piece of real wood in there and it started getting white moldy stuff on it so i have avoided live plants

Oh and i also wanted to bring up that one of my newts gets bubbles on his back when he goes underwater but the other doesnt get bubbles

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
What does moldy wood have to do with live plants? Live plants will help improve water quality and I personally think they look a lot nicer.
Newts adapted to terrestrial life that almost never touch water will often look shiny/have some small bubbles on them

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Just regular LED lights that dont put out much heat would work fine. Plants like elodea/anacharis, java fern, java moss, and hornwort are good options for plants.

Newt27

Reaction score
Thanks. They all need "high quality aquarium fertilizer" and some need co2. How do i get those in my tank?

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Dont use any fertilizers in your tank, just get some low light plants, the ones I listed work fine without anything added

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Plants that don't need a substrate are easiest. Elodia (Pondweed), Java ferns, Java moss and Hornwort all do well just floating about, most Petstores will stock some, or all of them so they are easy to find as well.
If you prefer things to look a little neater, you can attach the plants to stones or driftwood with fishing line, but there should always be some floating plants for the newts to rest in just below the surface.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1