Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Urgent! Need Help With Axolotl Babies!

KarmaWillow

Reaction score
Hi, I'm fairly new to this website and am only posting here because I honestly don't know where else to go to get advice. Here's the situation:

Background Info:
-The tank is in basement and usual temp range is 62-64 in winter and 64-68 in summer
-The Tank is cycled
-I give each lotl one worm every two days

Last Christmas I got two axies from a breeder a lucy and a copper. (of course, they were young juveniles so I didn't know the genders)

Since then they've been doing fairly well and are now almost Each time they laid eggs we removed them from the tank and changed the water regularly. The first time only one hatched. It ate for a few days and seemed ok, but then suddenly passed away.
The second laying of eggs seemed to do better and around 7 baby lotls hatched. However, they ate for a week or so and seemed fine until again without warning they just all passed away.

I am not looking to raise baby axolotls and honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. Additionally, I read on a forum that female lotls shouldn't lay eggs less than 3 months apart because it will cause health issues.

Just last night my lotls laid yet another set of eggs meaning it is their third set of eggs in less than 4 months.

At this point, I just don't know what to do? Is there somewhere/someone I could sell the eggs to before they hatch? Additionally, is there something I can do to get my axies to stop mating? I am worried about the female's future health as she's been laying many eggs in a very short amount of time.

If anyone has any suggestions, or comments, or anything then that would be great.
-Diane

Cgilliam9x19

Reaction score
You should separate your male and female. It’s extremely hard on females bodies to lay eggs & your male will over breed her and she will eventually die. They need their own tanks now, dividers are not sufficient as males lay sperm cones & it will pass through and fertilize her any way. This solves your problem of the eggs not hatching or living. But you should cull any eggs you still have, especially with them not surviving, you don’t want to sell them to anyone because people that purchase them intend on having live babies. Hope this helps :)

Cgilliam9x19

Reaction score
if you don’t have the means to set up another tank right away, you should tub one in fresh dechlorinated water & change it daily.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!