Got Milk(s)?....I do :)

HLFB

Reaction score
Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Surface Region...
Country
Canada
Display Name
Hunglikeafruitbat
I did a search for some Milk frogs here and came up with nothing so I thought I'd share some pics of mine. I have seven right now, but plan on getting a few more in the near future.

My first one Frankie Four Fingers

frogmrpink012.jpg

.... and the six others the day I got them a few months later.

newfrgs038.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Mat.

Beautiful frogs! Do you have any pictures of the whole setup?

Beautiful frogs! Do you have any pictures of the whole setup?

That was just a holding tank I had when I first got them. Frankie is in one of those large exo terra things and the other six are in a 75gallon. I don't have any pics of it right now, but will get some up soon. I recently introduced a new waterfall that I guess resembles a tree stump to them because they wont come out much, I've heard a ton of calling and I've witnessed amplexus at least twice..... so I don't want to bother them much right now ;)

Mat.

Beautiful frogs for sure... Where did you buy these critters how long do they live? ?Beautiful specimens !!!:>

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'm not sure exactly what their lifespan is, but I think I remember reading 10+ years if kept properly.

I got the first one at a pet shop and the rest came from a local breeder. I had responded to an ad that was a year old at that time and she happened to have 6 left. I can't thin of any Canadian breeders off the top of my head, but there are some working with them. They aren't CITES protected either though, so I'm pretty sure you could find someone in the U.S. to ship to you. There are usually quite a few offered on the various classified sites.

Mat.

Are they called Milk Frogs because they taste like milk? I'd be interested to find out since I LOVE milk.

Just kidding....

kinda

Are they called Milk Frogs because they taste like milk? I'd be interested to find out since I LOVE milk.

Just kidding....

kinda

LOL no.... and don't try it. They are known to secrete a toxic milky fluid when threatened, although captive bred ones rarely exhibit this. Mine have never done anything more than slightly inflate their bodies and grip on to something when I handle them, I only do that when I need to move them for whatever reason and still they don't seem to be bothered by me or the other animals.

Still wouldn't put one on or in my face though. ;)

Mat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back