Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C.pyrrhogaster season has commenced!

evut

Reaction score
I was cleaning the tank yesterday and looking from above, saw a male and a female coming towards each other. I was expecting to see a bit of tail fanning, and I did...except the female tail fanned the male! What is that supposed to mean???

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Eva, it was said i guess even previously in this thread that it is a perfectly normal behaviour that newts have. If I´m not mistaken what female told the male was something like "get outta here now" LoL. Its a simply territorial behaviour showing that she didn't want him right there at that time. Reasons? Thousands of them to pick.

Cheers,

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I believe that´s true, too. I´ve witnessed "tail-fanning" in females in different species and my conclussion is that it is a display to ward-off other newts. It´s always slightly different than the real tail-fanning meant for reproduction.
Both males and females can do it, and i personally find it happens more frequently among young animals, which possibly means that the behaviour could be an attempt to seem larger or more agressive.
Anyway it´s nothing to worry about, it´s just newt communication xD

evut

Reaction score
Thanks for explaining that. I think I remember reading about this before.
It is very funny to witness, all the same :happy:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I thought i would share this video i took a couple of days ago. I wanted to have filmed courtship but instead got a display of master chasing xD The 4 males are like this most of the time. A single chase like the one in the video can go on for as long as an hour. I´ve said it before but i´ll say it again, this guys just amaze me!

I apologize for the quality, though, it´s very bad and some areas of the tank are too dark and you can barely see a thing in the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYTWpCHA0hU

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!